[PLUG] re: Setting up basic X on Debian Sarge

Eric House fixin at peak.org
Mon Jun 16 07:36:01 UTC 2003

> From: Steve Jorgensen <jorgens at coho.net>
>
> I am setting up a network server box, so I don't want a fnacy X Windows
> system, etc., but I'm finding that I will want to run basic X from time to
> time.  I tried downloading basix X packages and Blackbox, but I can't get X
> to work.  Following howtos, the last step I got to was trying to test the
> server with XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new.  I get too much
> output to fit on the screen, and it doesn't seem to work with less.  What I
> do see includes a message that says symbol xf86InterpretEDID from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a is unresolved!  Next, it fails to open
> /dev/mouse, then couldn;t load XKB keymap, etc.
>
> Finally Fatal Server error: failed to initialize core devices
>
> What should I try next?

Is sarge the same as testing?

Anyway, I just configured X on testing by booting the machine off a
Knoppix CD and then grabbing the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 it created.  It
works flawlessly.  (I did have to change on thing: add Emulate3Buttons
to the profile for my USB mouse.)

I'm running fvwm.

--Eric House