[PLUG] BASH string manipulation

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Mon Jun 16 15:45:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Paul Lankow wrote:
> > Have you tried using some of the existing normalization tools?  I use
> > something called normalize with great success.
>
> Yes, the next step in that very script changes to the destination
> directory to run "normalize *.WAV" - it's great since the volume level
> on my MP3 collection can really very. Have you found a difference in
> volume level consistency when you normalize one at a time vs. batch
> normalization like I do?

There is a difference, that's why there's both a -b and a -m.  -b is batch
mode for multiple files, but it assumes that all of the tracks are volume
balanced as though they were ripped from the same album.  -m is mix mode
and attempts to reset the volume level for each track after scanning them
all.

Which mode are you using and to what effect?

> > Also, instead of manipulating the filename, you could just extract the
> > song title from the ID3 tag with something like
> > echo `mp3info -p "%t" $file|sed -e 's/ /_/g'`.mp3
>
> Most of these files were downloaded from (shared by) collector's PC's,
> so the tags aren't reliable. I appreciate the code, though. I'm sure I
> can put it to good use in some project. If nothing else, it could help
> me identify those files that need some ID3 tag work.

Retagging MP3s is a pain, but it's really helpful when you want to
dynamically or automatically generate playlists and stuff.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net