[PLUG] Setting up basic X on Debian Sarge

Steve Jorgensen jorgens at coho.net
Mon Jun 16 22:56:01 UTC 2003

Thanks for all the replies to my quandy, but I've already tried most of
these things.  I had already tried using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
which runs through the X Configuration dialogs, but I get the same kinds of
errors.  I tried reconfiguring xfs, and it failed saying a symbolic link
was missing, so I did a reinstall of xfs, and checked that it created the
symlink it had complained about - it did.  Of course, I'm still getting the
same errors from startx.  Is there something I should be doing to do to
start xfs before I try to run startx?

Regarding Matt Chorman's suggestion to "change the path to read unix/:0 If
you are using xfs", I'm not sure what this means or where to change it.

On another note, I've found some messages while doing some Web searching
that seem to indicate that xfree86 4.2 is broken in Debian, and I should
find and install one of the 4.3 source packages under development.
 Opinions?

If anyone has any further advice, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

- Steve Jorgensen

On Monday, June 16, 2003 10:35 AM, Rogan Creswick
[SMTP:creswick at cs.orst.edu] wrote:
> Off the top of my head, I'd use debconf to set up X, iirc:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver
>
> or something like that should do it. There is a basic setup command
> (base-setup ?) that will do it also. I hope that helps, I'm sorry I
> don't have the exact syntax for you, I don't have a deb box handy atm.
>
> -Rogan
>

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 02:45:57PM -0700, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> > I am setting up a network server box, so I don't want a fnacy X Windows
> > system, etc., but I'm finding that I will want to run basic X from time
> > time.  I tried downloading basix X packages and Blackbox, but I can't
get X
> > to work.  Following howtos, the last step I got to was trying to test
the
> > server with XFree86 -xf86config /root/XF86Config.new.  I get too much
> > output to fit on the screen, and it doesn't seem to work with less.
 What I