[PLUG] eBay scam

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 17 06:38:02 UTC 2003

On 17 Jun 2003, Holger Stephan wrote:

> As one who earns his living with copyrighted IP I really feel like
> turning this <german>Saftsack</german> in. Would you? And where?

Holger,

  Please do turn him in to both eBay and VMware. It's illegal and it hurts
us all.

  The mis-placed idealism from some on this list is sometimes amusing and
sometimes annoying. It was the same naive idealism that resulted in
yellow-painted bicycles in downtown Portland for _everyone's_ use. Need a
ride? Take a bike and leave it for the next person. Guess what? Every single
bike was stolen and not recovered. Where's this program now in support of
"freedom of transportation"?

  How many of you have seen people pushing shopping carts stolen from
supermarkets? Do you know that those carts cost a minimum of $275 each?
Guess who's paying for the thefts? We all are in higher prices in the store.

  If you were a farmer, how would you feel about folks walking through your
fields and taking crops because everyone has the right to be fed?

  Perhaps the reason some of you are unemployed is because others with your
philosophy, values and total disregard for anyone else's rights stole the
product of the greedy, scum-sucking, filthy capitalist who employed you.
May the next language you learn include the phrases, "Do you want fries with
that?" and "Regular or premium?"

  Too many people today have either forgotten, or never learned, how to
function as a part of a society. There's an almost complete lack of
courtesy, consideration of others and a willingness to work with a group for
the betterment of all. Starting about 20 years ago the mantra used to be "me
first". Now it's "me only, and screw you, too".

  Peter Yarrow (of Peter, Paul and Mary -- go ask your parents who they are)
accurately summarized this change during their 25th anniversary concert
several years ago. He pointed out the history of American society as
reflected by the magazines available. First there was "Life". Then there was
"People". After this came "Us". Now we have "Self".

  My wish is that someday you grow up and become both responsible and
productive to society as a whole. In the meantime I'd appreciate not knowing
that you support theft and other illegal acts.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/