[PLUG] Kernel 2.4.21 anyone?

Fedor Pikus fedorp at wv.mentorg.com
Tue Jun 17 11:45:03 UTC 2003

Is anyone running 2.4.21 kernel? I tried it out, because it has several
features I wanted (HPT372 IDE controller support, stable USB2), and one
feature I wanted to try out - supposedly it's much more responsive when
intensive disk I/O takes place.
All features I wanted are as advertized, but later, when I tried to
recompile XFree86, or the kernel itself, the build would fail in strange
ways. It was not the usual compiler sig11 crashes which happen when the
memory fails or CPU overheats. Most often, there were problems in
generated files, like makefiles ("separator missing on line 36"). It was
semi-reproducible, i.e. I could rerun the build several times and few
times it fails in exactly the same place, few times in some other place.

I went back to RedHat's version of 2.4.20 kernel, and several rebuilds of
XFree86 in a row all completed fine.

--
                                  Fedor G. Pikus
Mentor Graphics Corporation         | Phone: (503) 685-4857