[PLUG] Re: Way the hell OT - was eBay scam

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jun 17 11:58:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Fedor Pikus wrote:

> When you rn vmware-config it offers you to configure your system so you
> can access local filesystems from VMware, and if I remember right, this
> means samba. Since I already had samba set up, I did not want it to mess
> up the existing configuration, so I told it no, but if you are just
> startign with samba, give it a try and see what it really does.

  I can share my samba.conf with those who want to see how it's set up to
work with VMware. FWIW, I started using VMware as a beta tester in the
pre-1.0 days; I believe the build numbers were in double digits when I first
put it on. And I've paid for every upgrade since.

  What throws me with every upgrade is finding where the virtual win98 hides
the network setup. Once I'm there, and I enter the IP address and other
information, it works. The wonderfully patient support folks hear from me a
couple of times with each upgrade, then not again until we repeat the cycle.

  If Windows says it cannot find the network, it's probably on it's side of
the divide.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)