[PLUG] Hard drive recovery services local to PDX

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Jun 20 15:17:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Colin Kuskie wrote:
> As long as we're on the subject of local services, are there any local
> shops for hard drive recovery?  I have a Seagate hard drive that
> absolutely refuses to mount, and along with the strange ticking sound
> that it makes convinces me that the drive is damaged.

Before you spend a fortune, try this ridiculous method:

Wrap the drive in a towel, then put it in a plastic bag and put it in the
freezer.  Wait until it's frozen cold (three or so hours in my freezer),
then try to hook it up.

You might get one good mount out of the thing and save your data.

I've heard various people attempt to explain why this works, but nothing
too concrete.  Anecdotal, I've saved two drives of data this way and I've
read dozens of other stories.

Data recovery is exhorbitantly costly.

J.
--