[PLUG] uml probs - networking and skas 2.4.20 kernel

Steve Jorgensen jorgens at coho.net
Sat Jun 21 01:55:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

Ok, on Debian Sarge (Testing), I got the user-mode-linux stuff installed,
built an umage using rootstrap (first try failed w/ ext3, but works setting
up ext2), and with the help of a friend, got it to actually load and run
the image (contrary to the help, one must specify ubd0=<image>), but I
still have a few problems, issues, and questions.

1.  Networking (besides lo) doesn't work.  During the startup process, the
uml says...
Configuring network interfaces... SOICSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
SOICSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
done.

2.  For good uml performace, I have been trying to build a new host kernel
with the skas patch, but I can't seem to get the Debian Kernel 2.4.20
package to build.  From the very little I'm finding on th the Web about the
errors I'm getting, these look like bugs with 2.4.20 building under gcc
3.3.  Does anyone know how to fix or get around this besides waiting for a
Sarge 2.4.21 package or trying to make do with a stock Kernel instead of an
official Debian-patched one?

3.  It looks like either uml in general, or the way this one is configured
expects to run under X.  If I run it from a text console, then ps -A shows
a whole bunch of "linux" processes attached to the tty.  I presume these
correspond to the Virtual Console windows I get if I do run uml from a
terminal in X.  This is supposed to be a server box, running on less than
state-of-the-art hardware, so I was hoping to not run X on it at all during
normal operation, but I can see how I would likely want virtual consoles
within my uml sessions from time to time.  What are other folks doing with
this?

Thanks for any help y'all can offer,

- Steve Jorgensen