[PLUG] RE: uml problems

Steve Jorgensen jorgens at coho.net
Sat Jun 21 12:03:02 UTC 2003

On Saturday, June 21, 2003 8:45 AM, david may [SMTP:david at davudsplace.net]
wrote:
> The problems you have (other than the build one)  can
> be addressed with command line  parameters.
> this is the one command line I have bee using recently
>
> ./linux con0=fd:0,fd:1           \
> con=pty \
> eth0=tuntap,,,192.168.1.68  \
> ubd0=deb2.cow,deb2.img  \
> mem=64M \

I didn't think that was supposed to be necessary since I put the network
settings into /etc/rootstrap/rootstrap.conf (which include an entry for
host ip address) before I built the uml image.  What are these settings for
if you have to enter it again on the uml command line?  Is there soemthing
I'm not understanding about that?

> ubd0=deb2.cow,deb2.img
> This demonstrates the use if a copy on write file ( see the web page)

Yeah, I'm anxious to play with that, but I was startng with just making the
basics work.  BTW, what if you later decide you want to make a cow/img into
a single img?

> con=pty makes all the consles attach to ptys instead of starting terms
> for daemons you can add con1=port:/dev/tty8 and the uml will be
> on virtual console 8 so you can ctrl-alt-f8 to get to it.

I guess there's no perfect answer, then, is there because that won't work
very nicely when I decide to run 4 or 5 umls.

> I am trying to figure out the skas build problem now , I  was able to get
> make-kpkg to work at least once. It is an issue with getting the
> patches applied properly i think.

Well, I see lots of messages about people having trouble building 2.4.20 in
general, so I'm not sure my issues have anything to do with the skas patch.
 I made it past that last error by removing the unneeded module from the
configuration, and now I'm back to an error I had last time I tried
building this kernel.  At line 440 in ide-cd.h, "long, shoret, or unsigned
used invalidly for 'slot_tablelen'".  I friend of mine helped me through
that last time by fixing the data type of that variable, but I don't know
 what type he changed it to to make it work.  Currently, the definition is
__u8 short slot_tablelen.

> good luck,
> davud

Thanks