[PLUG] Laptop Recommendations

Sean Whitney sean at fork.com
Sat Jun 21 15:51:02 UTC 2003

Responding back to my own post I thought I'd share what I found and settled
with.

I ended up purchasing a HP ze5165 from Best Buy for about $1400.00 which was
the best deal I could find.  It has 1400x1050 screen, CDRW/DVD player, built
in wireless and modem (a winmodem with linux drivers). 3 USB ports, Firewire,
built in floppy, 40GB HD, and 128MBx2 memory.  Most similar laptops with the
same specifications were closer to $2000.  Runs linux pretty well, the power
management problem has been nicely managed using a ACPI knowledgeable kernel.
However battery time is about 2 hours, regardless of OS.  Several (but not
all) of the extra keyboard keys work, including one which turns the touchpad
off, which I like.  The laptop is big and heavy which I originally didn't
want.  But I read several laptop reviews that stated most light-weight
laptops now just aren't built to be hauled around alot.  They hinges on the
screen are weak or the shell is very thin.  So knowing the damage I do to my
shins and arms I decided to buy a heavier grade laptop.

I also ended up purchasing the Best Buy extended 3year warranty for $250.00,
which I don't usually like to do, however I can replace the battery yearly
(which is $250.00 by it's self) for three years and it covers the screen.

Sean