[PLUG] uml probs - networking and skas 2.4.20 kernel

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Sat Jun 21 17:02:02 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 16:18, Steve Jorgensen wrote:

> process,
> > > the

> > > Before I ran rootstrap, I set the following in the [rootstrap] section
> of
> > > /etc/rootstrap/rootstrap.conf:
> > > interface=eth0
> > > transport=tuntap
> > > host=192.168.2.3
> > > uml=192.168.2.4
> > > netmask=255.255.255.248
> > > gateway=192.168.2.1
> > > domain=syhome.local
> > > nameserver=192.168.2.2
> >
> > I assume that tuntap is working, or else rootstrap wouldn't have gotten
> > you this far.
> >
> > Did you add yourself to the "uml-net" group?
>
> Nope.  So far, I'm doing all of this as root in the host system.  Do I need
> to be in uml-net if I'm root?

I don't know, I've only run it as a user.  My guess would be no, you
don't have to add root to the uml-net group.

> > Did you add this information to the /etc/network/interfaces file inside
> > the uml?
>
> No.  I guess I didn't know it had to be set there, and I thought rootstrap
> was setting all that up for me.  Should the info be inside, outside, or
> both?  Or does it have to be passed on the uml startup command line
> regardless?

Just the info for eth0 on the uml system.  The host will have a tuntap
device with the ip address assigned by the start up parameters.

Don't forget to set ip_forward to 1.

Good Luck,

Derek Loree