[PLUG] uml probs - networking and skas 2.4.20 kernel

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Sat Jun 21 19:30:03 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-21 at 17:26, Steve Jorgensen wrote:
> On Saturday, June 21, 2003 5:06 PM, Derek Loree [SMTP:drl at drloree.com]
> wrote:
> ..
> > > No.  I guess I didn't know it had to be set there, and I thought
> rootstrap
> > > was setting all that up for me.  Should the info be inside, outside, or
> > > both?  Or does it have to be passed on the uml startup command line
> > > regardless?
> >
> > Just the info for eth0 on the uml system.  The host will have a tuntap
> > device with the ip address assigned by the start up parameters.
>
> Thanks, but which piece is that answering to, the command line, the host
> config, or the config inside the uml?

Now I'm confused, let's try this again.

If you start the the file "root_fs" with the command:

linux eth0=tuntap,,,192.168.0.5

then the host will have a virtual network device with the address of
192.168.0.5 and the uml system will have an eth0 device (If you are in
the uml-net group).  To configure this eth0 device you need to edit
/etc/network/interfaces.  If you assign an address from the same network
space as the host, then all you need is to have ip_forward on to have a
route from the uml interface to the host's network.

For example (with the LAN gateway of 192.168.0.1):

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.0.6
	network 192.168.0.0
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	broadcast 192.168..0.255
	gateway 192.168.0.1

It is also possible to setup the uml interface on a different subnet,
and use a firewall (with NAT) between the host and the uml interface.

> > Don't forget to set ip_forward to 1.
>
> I see that it's set to zero, so I'll fix that.  Does it need ip_forward 1
> to reach the host OS, or does it only need that to get to the outside LAN?

Outside LAN.

Hope that isn't too confusing.

Derek Loree