[PLUG] A "Legal" Honeypot

Erik edasher at javelin.net
Sat Jun 21 23:54:02 UTC 2003

I, like many of you, and deeply concerned about the direction copyright
law is taking.  I'm particularly concerned about the RIAA vs. Verizon
case in which the RIAA forced Verizon to hand over the names of Verizon
subscribers that the RIAA claims illegally downloaded files.

Wouldn't it be lovely if we could find a way to feed the RIAA some DCMA
lovin?

I believe it is possible to create a honeypot (in the conventional
sense) for the RIAA to download materials from.  Files named "Madonna -
American Life.mp3" and the like should do nicely.  These files would
contain materials copywritten by the people sharing the files, but would
contain no "illegal" materials.

The people sharing the files would monitor the downloads.  When files
were downloaded to IP addresses known to belong to the RIAA and/or their
contractors, sue, or respond with other forms of legal harrasment.
Thus, a "Legal Honeypot."

I recognise this proposal has some problems.  I don't know what IP
addresses belong to the RIAA and their contractors.  Filing suit (even
if it never goes to trial) is not cheap.  There are other problems here
that I won't address here.

I seek your ideas and feedback.  Can the above plan be made workable?
Have you other ideas?

I'll watch and read with interest.
Thanks,
Erik.