[PLUG] 802.11b adapters known to work with Linux?

David Fleck dcf at aracnet.com
Sun Jun 22 15:52:02 UTC 2003

After spending most of the day installing and re-installing SuSE 8.2, and
as yet still having no wireless support, I'm just going to break down and
ask if anyone out there can answer 3 questions for me:

1) Do you have a working wireless Linux system?
2) What exact wireless adapter make and model do you have?
3) What modules does it use (and where did you get them)?

So far I've tried Linksys' WUSB11 usb adapter (kernel found it, but got
varying errors trying to load module for it)  and Linksys' WMP11v2.7 PCI
adapter (kernel doesn't seem to see it at all).  Disabling APIC during
install & boot (as was suggested) didn't seem to help.  Some digging
around on the internet leads me to believe that the PCI adapter was a
mistake;  earlier versions of the adapter work with Linux, but 2.7
doesn't.  It also seems like the USB version might work, but possibly not
with the module as supplied by SuSE.  One thing that I noticed in the
reports I read is that compatibility can be here in one minor version, and
gone the next - hence if anyone has a known good adapter, which exact
version it is.

--
David Fleck
dcf at aracnet.com