[PLUG] Spam, Etc.

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Sun Jun 22 20:07:02 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 18:45, Jason Van Cleve wrote:
> I see.  So it actually sounds a little more like the personal
> certificate idea to me now.  Except instead of validating emails, we'd
> be validating SMTP relays.  How would it work, though?  Would the relay
> have to sign all outgoing emails, or how would we verify the cert's?

Since none of this exists yet, I'll speculate how it could work
without changes to the SMTP protocol. It would require changes
to the way mail daemons work. Once the TCP three-way handshake
is over, the originating mail server would say EHELO but also
supply a certificate along with its name. The mail server that
was just contacted now validates the certificate. If the
certificate is OK, it responds in the usual way - with a 200-series
code. If the certificate is not OK (it's the revoked certificate
of a spammer), it responds with the appropriate error code (554?)
and terminates the TCP connection.

We'd need to have some sort of plan to deal with servers that
say conventional HELOs - they don't provide a certificate.

There may be a fatal flaw in all of this. I spent less than
5 minutes pondering it. If so, something similar could be
engineered. Note that I'd want to implement the certificate
in the early stages of the SMTP handshake because I'm an
advocate of allowing spammers to steal as little of my
bandwidth as possible. There may be benefits to implementing
it later in the handshake if bandwidth is not important.

Ed