[PLUG] VMWare

Terry Layne plug at laynesoftware.com
Mon Jun 23 20:07:02 UTC 2003

On 23 Jun 2003 18:49:23 -0700, Steven A. Adams wrote

> I don't begrudge anyone profit, my question was to solicit info from
> current users of the product before I spent the money. So far the
> response has been very informative.

It sounds like you've heard from more whiners and complainers than the product
really deserves.  I'm running two (licensed) copies of WinXP Pro under VMWare
3.x on a Red Hat 7.3 server, which is also doing a bunch of other things, and
everything has been  running trouble free in a production environment for 153
days and counting.  I actually have the two instances of VMWare running in a
VNC session since the server is at a co-lo.  I'd say VMWare is just about the
only piece of PC software I would happily pay $279 for.

If money is really tight, it might make more sense to run Windows in a
headless workstation with VNC, and then access it from your Linux desktop.  It
all depends on the apps you need to support.

--
Terry Layne
Portland, OR