[PLUG] 802.11b adapters known to work with Linux?

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jun 25 08:24:01 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 6:13 am, David Fleck wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded to my cry for help.  It turns out what I
> really needed was a strong dose of RTFM - I got the Linksys USB wireless
> adapter (WUSB11v2.6) working with SuSE 8.2 by doing 2 things:
>
> 1) finding the correct howto
> (http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/howto/howto.html)
>
> 2) reading it carefully.
>
> It turns out the correct driver module is included with SuSE 8.2, but a
> bit of fiddling (not detailed in SuSE's docs, as far as I can tell) is
> required for the system to load it correctly.

RTFM is good advice when documentation is organized, clear, and easy to find.
In this case, it isn't. The docs for implementing wireless in Linux are a
chaotic mess. The worst part is trying to find if a particular card is
supported. I don't blame the heroic souls who are writing drivers and docs
for Linux, with little help or support. I am fed up with hardware
manufacturers and vendors being so completely chickensh*t about Linux
support. So don't feel bad about needing help.

--
Carla Schroder