[PLUG] 2 TAR questions

guy1656 guy1656 at ados.com
Wed Jun 25 22:24:02 UTC 2003

(Re: large backup files, 7GB or so, but older computer
will only handle <2Gb file sizes...)
: I walked into the middle of the
: thread.  But I get by just fine using:
:
: tar -cv  -L 1000000 -F myscript -f archive.tar stuff/to/backup
:
: This creates chunks that are 1 GB in size.  myscript is actually the backup
: script that calls this tar command in the first place.  When called in this
: instance it provides the next archive name.  That way I end up with
: backup00.tar, backup01.tar, etc.  When all done I gzip the lot of them.

OK, now - how would you restore once you have backup00.tar, backup01.tar, etc?
Can a compressed file get split across two backup files? What happens?

-GLL