[PLUG] Plug hostfs hole in uml without kernel recompile?

Steve Jorgensen jorgens at coho.net
Sat Jun 28 01:25:03 UTC 2003

Hi all,

Yet another User Mode Linux question...  Here I am, happily setting up User
Mode Linux becuase I know I'm going to be a security bonehead, and this
seems like a good way to keep services isolated from one another without a
room full of systems to run my home network.  Also, it was seeming actually
easier to understand and set up than chroot.  Now, come to find out that
UML can happily access the host filesystem using hostfs - so much for
bullet proof security.  Sure, it's still more secure than not using uml,
but not nearly so much as I thought.  On article I saw recommended running
uml in chroot for this reason - so much for not having to learn about
chroot.

So, I know that I could compile my own uml kernel with hostfs support
ommitted, but I just finished a week-long ordeal getting my host kernel to
compile with gcc 3.3 so I could set up the skas patches.  I'm not looking
forward to another kernel recompile experiment at this particular time.
 Shouldn't there just be a uml start-up option to disable hostfs?  OK,
"should" and reality appear to differ in this case, but I'm hoping someone
here knows some simple, clever trick I could use.

Anyone?

Thanks,

- Steve Jorgensen