[PLUG] Onstream bankruptcy, what can I do?

robinsoq robinsoq at mail.opusnet.com
Mon Jun 30 11:50:02 UTC 2003

I got an onstream DI30 drive off of ebay but would you
know it, the company is bankrupt.  I've tried getting
Verbatim cartridges through E-Bay but they were not
new or at least they're faulty.  Since it's an auction
I'm stuck with them, the moral is, I don't want to
waste more money on bad media.  I picked up one good
cartridge through issi business solutions where this
company won't sell media for the drive anymore because
of the bamkruptcy.  Is there a place to trade this drive
in for credit towards another Linux compatible tape
drive?  Maybe I should try to sell it at this point.
If I can't pick up at least three good cartridges for
close to or under $100 there's not a whole lot I can
do with it.

I look at buy.com and they have media for the 25/50 units
but I don't think you can put those cartridges into an
older drive.

I tried to go to dirt cheap drives to look at buying hard
drives instead of tapes but there site is down for
"corporate restructuring."

I wonder about all media drive business as IBM has abandoned
their ATA hard drive line and people are telling me that
drives are not profitable enough.  I wonder what's going to
happen considering that no server works without some kind
of nonvolatile memory ( O.K. you can network boot a server
but you still have to have at least one that has nonvolatile memory ).

     --  Michael C. Robinson