[PLUG] mp3 players -- separate from the system

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Mon Jun 30 15:54:01 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:07:48PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Can anyone recommend an mp3 player to which music can be transferred from
> the workstation? The digital music equivalent of the Walkman, I presume.

I've been pretty happy with the new iPod. The default interface is
firewire, which works great for me (using a SIIG 3-port pci firewire
card, with the standard kernel module). gtkpod provides a useable,
albiet buggy interface(it crashes once in a while), there are a few
others, but I haven't looked into them.

The thing I dislike the most is the heavy reliance on id3 tags, I'm
not sure which version of id3, but I'm having a few issues with that.

Overall though, I'm extremely pleased. Battery life is great (haven't
measured it yet, but probably 8 hours+) it's very tiny, and holds more
than one CD of music, which is my main gripe with the solid state
players.

-Rogan