[PLUG] OT: hardware problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Mar 1 07:39:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> Does this mean that you were able to get a login prompt over the
> network?

  Yes. I could ssh to that box and log in.

> If the machine is functional other than the video console, I'd say
> your assumption that the issue is the frame buffer is one of the
> things I'd troubleshoot. Here's the whole list:
>
> * if the frame buffer isn't built in to the mainboard, remove and
>   reseat it, making an effort to blow dust out of its agp or pci
>   socket and to clean the contacts on the card,

  Something to consider.

> * try the card in another slot, if possible,

  There's only one AGP slot on the board.

> * try a known good card in the slot in question,

  Don't have any.

> * try the "bad" card in another host.

  Too much hassle to shut down and disassemble two machines.

  I'll take the card back to ENU as it's only 3 months old.

Thanks, Paul,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)