[PLUG] OT: hardware problem

Petcher, Danielx J danielx.j.petcher at intel.com
Sat Mar 1 08:02:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Petcher, Danielx J wrote:

>> ANY hardware can fail.

Mr. Shepard replied:

>  This I know; at least with vacuum tubes it was easy to tell a dead one
>(and I had a tube tester, too). From the time the transitor was first
>introduced the mantra was that solid-state devices would fail quickly or
>last for years. I guess I have been lucky to not experience the quick
>failure before now.

I tell people that graphing solid state failures over time produces a
bath-tub shaped curve.

>  What I asked, poorly and in a round-about way, was if there was something
>other than the video card that might be responsible for the lack of signal
>to the monitor.

I liked Paul's suggestions. Perhaps you have a geek buddy or two in town who
might loan you an AGP video card? Perhaps the thrift store at freegeek.org
might have one they can sell you for cheap? Perhaps you know some computer
store with a liberal open-box returns policy?

Happy troubleshooting!