[PLUG] Sendmail Vulnerability

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Mon Mar 3 12:51:02 UTC 2003

On Monday 03 March 2003 11:46 am, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> I'd be pleased to hear what you think are the most
> confusing email concepts or issues, so I can be sure
> I'm doing justice to the subject in the book.
>
> Ed

One common point of confusion is all the MTAs use a component named
'sendmail', which of course gets confused with Sendmail. I've heard this is
because some programs are hardcoded to look for sendmail, instead of $MTA.

A common point of confusion with Postfix is what's the difference between
'postfix reload' and 'postfix restart.' Yeah, everybody knows about how the
first re-reads only main.cf, not master.cf, but what does it mean to the
admin? And I thought I heard rumblings that this was going to change anyway.

With all the little specialized utilities like fetchmail, procmail, Cyrus,
spam filters, etc it's confusing which of these are really needed.

OK, you wanted some 0.02, there's 0.06.

cheers,
Carla
--