[PLUG] Sendmail Vulnerability

Kris krisa at subtend.net
Mon Mar 3 13:30:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 11:46:25AM -0800, Ed Sawicki wrote:
> using sendmail. It seems that Postfix has become the
> new standard for email on *nix. It's included with

That is a pretty large sweeping statement.  I run qmail both in
corporate and personal environments.  Qmail has a fairly large install
base.

I heard of large deployments of exim as well.  This is the default on
some versions of Debian (most new ones?).

Once I rebuild my desktop I'm going to play with postfix and give it a
try.  I'm just happy there are many alternatives to sendmail. :)

Instead of "the new standard for email on *nix", maybe "a significant
force in the world of Internet email." <g>

> I'm co-authoring a book on Email right now that makes
> the assumption that Postfix is the standard, though
> it does mention that Exim and qmail are also fine
> servers. Sendmail is covered minimally - as one would
> cover a legacy product. I'm doing the server-side
> portion of the book and my co-author is doing the
> client-side. Our tech reviewer is the author of a
> well-known mail client.

Here is some stuff that would be nice to include:

* Relaying.. "how did we get on that damn block list?"
* VirtualDomains
* Receiving server vs. sending server.. POP/IMAP vs. SMTP
  "I have to put my ISP's SMTP server in my mozilla config?"
* ESTMP vs STMP
* Authenticated SMTP.. issues with specific clients (like NS4.7)
* secure mail transport
* spool storage.. NFS..etc.
* speed tweaks (specific to each MTA)
* UUCP integration with FidoNet (oh.. wait.. no.. scratch that one)