[PLUG] Sendmail Vulnerability

Ed Sawicki ed at alcpress.com
Mon Mar 3 14:19:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 13:00, Carla Schroder wrote:

> One common point of confusion is all the MTAs use a component named
> 'sendmail', which of course gets confused with Sendmail. I've heard this is
> because some programs are hardcoded to look for sendmail, instead of $MTA.

Since Postfix, Exim, qmail, and others are Sendmail replacements,
these alternative mail programs must masquerade as Sendmail to
satisfy legacy applications or users.

> A common point of confusion with Postfix is what's the difference between
> 'postfix reload' and 'postfix restart.' Yeah, everybody knows about how the
> first re-reads only main.cf, not master.cf, but what does it mean to the
> admin? And I thought I heard rumblings that this was going to change anyway.

"postfix reload" is supported by the postfix program and,
as you say, is used after changes to main.cf occur.

The postfix program does not support a "postfix restart"
command as far as I can tell. Instead it uses "postfix
start" and "postfix stop". However, the startup script in
/etc/init.d (or /etc/rc.d/init.d) has a restart command,
which is probably a "postscript stop" followed by a
"postscript start". I dunno. I don't have Postfix running
on a box with a System V-style startup at the moment.

> OK, you wanted some 0.02, there's 0.06.

Thanks. I'll give you your 0.04 change when I see you next.

--
Ed Sawicki <ed at alcpress.com>
ALC