[PLUG] An Employment Idea

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Mar 3 21:16:02 UTC 2003

I wouldn't call the following a lead, but for the members
of the unemployed SIG (of which I managed to leave), I
had an interesting talk with a fellow tonight about
a possible job.

The long & the short of it was this: he works for a
local divison of Ricoh (the folks who sell copiers) as a
network engineer/technician/guy who gets paid to make stuff work.
He told me that his group is finding things slow because
they lack a salesman who knows how to sell network
consulting; they have all the copier salesmen that they
need, but none of them knows how to sell Netware, Linux
or Windows consulting. (And he is interested in getting
more Linux work for his group.)

As he explained, his management has basically given up
looking to fill this position, & are waiting for the
right person to come in & sell him/herself to them.
Which -- to me -- suggests that this is a job that is
out there, but not actually advertised. And can be landed
with a little bit of work by the right person.

Obviously, this will require more than sending a resume
& a follow-up call. And obviously, not everyone on this
list is a salesman. But I suspect that there is someone
out there who knows someone who wouldn't mind selling a
solid product (e.g., Linux networking) for a change from
the usual garbage that so many consulting groups want to
offer (e.g., that other ``Operating System").

If you are interested, & need a bit more help in researching
this position, contact me off-list. I have no input beyond
perhaps being a reference for this job, so don't send me
any resumes. Or sales specials on Symantec Antivirus software.

Geoff