[PLUG] March PDX.rb Meeting

Phil Tomson ptkwt at aracnet.com
Tue Mar 4 13:16:01 UTC 2003

Rubyists (and those curious about Ruby):

We'll be having our monthly meeting this coming Monday March 10th at
7PM. This time we'll meet on the East side at:

The Lucky Lab At SE Hawthorne and 10th (north side of the street).

This month we'll have a presentation by Lennon Day-Reynolds on his yet
unamed database binding library discussed in a recent post to ruby-talk.
>From his post:

  I have a simple binding library which lets you do something like the
  following:

  class Foo
     attr_reader :bar, baz
     attr_writer :bar, :baz
  end
  Persist::bind(Foo, 'foo_table', :bar, :baz)
  f = Foo.fetch('pkey_value')
  f.bar = 3
  f.store
  Foo.select('where bar > ?', 2) {|foo_obj|
     p foo_obj
  }

 It handles about 80% of the database queries I use in a moderately
 complex (~20kloc)
 business application, with the remaining bits done in basic DBI calls.

 I've also been experimenting with a thread-safe LRU cache for objects,
 so that at least multiple concurrent reads of a database-bound data
 object don't have to make a full round trip to the database for each
 instance.

 Right now, it's not really package as a standalone library, but I'd be
 happy to go back over the code, clean it up, and either post it here
 or on RAA for others to try out.

Phil