[PLUG] trouble with GNOME

Sean seanpdixon at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 13:25:02 UTC 2003

I finally made the switch to Linux.  It has been a lot of fun and a lot
of frustration as I struggle to learn the idiosyncrocies of this OS.

One problem I have had are critical errors on my user accounts.  After
struggling to fix them, I decided to simply delete them from the GUI.
 When I added the new account with the same name I had the same problems
- mozilla launching and then crashing was one issue.  I finally just
renamed the user directories with a .old and created new account through
xterm.

Although Mozilla works, now my evolution mail client will not launch.

I believe many of the problems I am having are a result of an initial
issue I have at start-up.  The following is the error message I get when
I login:

Could not look up internet address for <local computer>.
This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly.
It may be possible to correct the problem by adding
<local computer> to the file /etc/hosts

Any suggestions on what is going on and what I need to do to fix it?

I am running Redhat 8