[PLUG] trouble with GNOME

Robbert van Andel robbert at vafam.com
Tue Mar 4 18:20:02 UTC 2003

I've had the same trouble when I first switched to linux.  There are
actually two files you will want to check.

This is the entry on the computer name from my Linux Cheat Sheet:

Changing the Computer name

     1. Log in as root.
     2. Edit /etc/hosts to read as the following
        127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost {desired computer
        name}
     3. Edit /etc/sysconfig/network to read as the following
        NETWORKING=yes
        HOSTNAME={desired computer name} (same as #2)

Replace {desired computer name} with what you want to call the server.
I call mine Robbert (okay, so I'm vain, big deal :) ).  So my /etc/hosts
file looks like this
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost robbert

And my /etc/sysconfig/network file looks like this
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME=robbert

Hope this helps.

Robbert