[PLUG] Strange file characteristics

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 21:06:02 UTC 2003

Today I was preparing an MS Word document for
publication using Crossover Office under Linux. In
mid-afternoon the file weighed in at a little under
2MB, then I added a 100K picture and the file was
about 10MB! I couldn't believe it, but it really was
that big.(It was a VFAT file--VERY fat--and my native
filesystem is .ext3.)

The file looked perfectly fine, and I can spare the
10MB space on the hard drive. But people complain if
you send them something that large over the Internet,
uneless they are expecting it. The reason I had to
prepare a .doc file was that the person receiving it
was to convert it to a Web document, and I doubt that
it will be unduly bulky after this process is
completed.

Nevertheless, this is disturbing. I suppose it has
something to do with cluster size. Does anyone have
suggestions about this?

=====
Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/

"SAMBA--opening Windows to a wider world."