[PLUG] busted AGP slot? ... evidently not!

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Mar 4 23:11:01 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Mike" == Mike De La Mater <mikedela at ipns.com> writes:

Mike> IIRC, 1) We verified that the card was good in another system

Yes.

Mike> 2) We used a different AGP card in the slot, and it worked fine

Not exactly.  We removed the AGP card, which reenabled the onboard AGP
graphics.  We did this on two motherboards (same part number) and got
identical behavior.  The second motherboard was brand new.

Mike> 3) We removed the drivers for the card and COMPLETELY reinstalled it

It isn't even beeping during the power-on-self-tests.  There is no
video _of_ the power-on-self-tests, screen black, not even a blinking
cursor.  AFAICT, it hasn't even looked to see if there is a hard disk
attached, much less caring about an OS, so it seems to me that
"drivers" are irrelevant here.

This is an Intel D845GBVL, a P4 motherboard.

I did try upgrading the BIOS from P09 to P13.  No diff.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more