[PLUG] Add new NIC

Michael Robinson michael at ns1.robinson-west.com
Thu Mar 6 11:03:01 UTC 2003

On Thursday 06 March 2003 10:49 am, you wrote:
> What kind of NIC is it, exactly? Many times the module for the NIC will
> have a switch that indicates which card you wish for it to be.
>
> If the NIC driver is built into the kernel, on the other hand, it may be
> a simple matter as follows:
>
>   ifconfig eth2 192.168.1.x netmask 255.255.255.0
>   ifconfig eth2 up
>

> -Cooper
>
> On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 10:38, Michael Luevane wrote:
> > Hi, pluggers.
> >
> > I have a machine that I've added a NIC to, bringing the total to 3. I am
> > now scratching my head on how to tell Linux that there's another NIC to
> > configure/install. I already have one NIC card of that model installed
> > and working.

Well, if it's an ISA nic you need to add a lilo parameter for built in driver
or try /etc/modules.conf for a modular driver.  If it's pci, most likely, you
should be able to do dmesg to find out if it detected.  On redhat there
are scripts under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts where you should
find ifcfg-eth0.  You copy this file and modify it for your third net card.
I believe that ifconfig -a is another way to see if Linux knows about
your third net card regardless of whether or not it is up.

     --  Michael C. Robinson