[PLUG] Network backups...

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Mar 6 21:26:02 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 18:42, Russell Senior wrote:

> Michael> [...] As far as I can tell, a linux system cannot be
> Michael> completely backed up, everything, live.
>
> Russell> I do all my backups live.
>
> Michael> How?
>
> Essentially,
>
>    mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 32768
>    mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>    mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf <n>
>    tar -C <mount-point> -b 64 -clf /dev/nst0 .
>    mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>    mt -f /dev/nst0 fsf <n>
>    tar -C <mount-point> -b 64 -dlf /dev/nst0
>
> Salt to taste to pipe over ssh for remote backups.
>
> Note: because files change between backup and compare, the compare is
> going to generate some mismatch noise.  I generally glance at the
> output for anything unexpected.
>
> Michael> There are open files, fifos, and possibly changing files.
>
> In some instance that might be important.  In my circumstances, it
> hasn't proved to be.

Typically, I dump my databases/directory to files and then backup, which
means the state of the actual database files doesn't matter.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *
QCSNet                                     http://www.qcsn.com
* * * * T1, Frame Relay, DSL, Dial-up, and Web Hosting * * * *
*   My GPG key recently expired.  It's updated on the key    *
*   servers.  Please update if you're using GPG/PGP.         *