[PLUG] immediate shutdown problem

Rogan Creswick creswick at cs.orst.edu
Thu Mar 6 22:13:01 UTC 2003

Twice I've had my workstation poweroff un-commanded (the last two
times it was shutdown infact). Both times this has happened at the
same instant I've placed my visor in it's usb cradel. Has anyone
experienced this? AFAIK, I don't have any resident monitors on my
cradel, and I know I didn't inadvertently hit the hotsync button (nor
does this do anything yet, I haven't set that up, the cradel just acts
as a charging station.)

Cradeling the visor is something I do daily, and has never seemed to
cause a problem other than these two instances, about 2-3 weeks apart.

Both times the system was doing quite a lot, with a load average
arround 3 (I check this rather often), and high disk activity. This
leads me to think it may be powering off automatically due to heat
problems.. although it's a hell of a coincidence. Unfortunately I
don't have any thermal sensing software working..

Anyhow, the system specs are as follows (in detail to support the
overheating theory):

dual athlon mp 1600+'s
tyan tiger mpx mobo
512 ram
dvd, cdrw, cd (separate devices, all ide)
promise ata100 ide controller
3 dma 100 drives (and a slower one, that never sees activity)
G400 DH. video
450 watt antex PS.
& 4 case fans.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.