[PLUG] Emaill passwd and username recovery

Carla Schroder pluglist at bratgrrl.com
Fri Mar 7 00:51:01 UTC 2003

On Friday 07 March 2003 12:29 am, Billy Dimaculangan wrote:
> i would like to do this for username and passwd maintenance only.  users
> are complaining to me that i always give new paswwd whenever they ask for
> me for their forgotten passwd(which i think is not my fault).

Too bad for your users! No admin on any properly-managed modern system can
recover a password, the only option is to reset it. Passwords should not be
readable by human eyes. Though Russell pointed out how easy it is to capture
and read network traffic. A little encryption goes a long way towards curing
that. Some users are chronically whiny about passwords, the only things I
know to do are to streamline the system so they don't need to track a bunch
of passwords, and to be very stern on anything pertaining to security. No
Post-its, no dictionary words, birthdays, or pet names; periodic password
changes, no recycling the same three passwords, the usual basics.

--
Carla Schroder