[PLUG] What's this file for?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 7 15:54:01 UTC 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Colin Kuskie wrote:

> You probably got RPM'ed, where an RPM has it but there's no way to find
> out during install/upgrade what's really there.  I used to have mkpasswd
> on my server, but after installing an upgrade RPM it disappeared, reading
> back through the logs on RH's website showed that it got taken out, but
> not why.  They probably want me to fill out a survey of buy a professional
> version to get it :)

Colin,

  Could be, but I think I put it on some time ago to try and completely
forgot about it. I just got rid of all of it.

  But, I've just hit a Red Hat rpm problem that is the final straw -- for
me. I got the official PostgreSQL rpms for the latest 7.3.2 (even rebuilt
the src.rpm here) and I cannot upgrade the current version. Wrong
architecture I'm told. Sigh.

  This weekend I'm -- finally -- putting Slackware-8.0 on my notebook,
assembling my new (fast!) workstation, and putting Slack on that, too.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Red Hat, but after 5+ years of using
it I've decided that it's not the best for _me_ here. I've had too many bad
experiences with missing dependencies and other time consuming issues. This
is not intended to start another distribution diatribe! I've just made a
decision based on our use on the small network here.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com