[PLUG] Monitoring outgoing traffic

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat Mar 8 11:44:01 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Phil" == Phil Tomson <ptkwt at aracnet.com> writes:

Phil> The other day my internet connection (I'm still on dialup, I
Phil> don't want to pay $50+/mo for cable) got very sloooowwww.  At
Phil> first I thought it was the ISP's problem, but it persisted.  On
Phil> a whim I rebooted my machine that does firewall/masquerading and
Phil> after that things were back to normal.  Now a few days later it
Phil> got slow again.  I'm beginning to suspect that perhaps something
Phil> is sending lots of data out.  What's the best way to monitor for
Phil> outgoing data?

tcpdump or ethereal are usually good choices.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more