[PLUG] Wireless pcmcia card & hub

Keith Morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Sat Mar 8 11:53:01 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I'm buying a laptop and I want to put a wireless lan card in there and add
> a wireless hub to the network switch. I see that local stores are selling
> D-Link components (as well as LinkSys, NetGear and a product from that
> "other" place in Redmond). The laptop runs linux.
>
>   This is all completely new to me so I'd appreciate suggestions.

As 802.11b is very popular right now, unsurprisingly most pc cards have
driver suppport with a few exceptions. Do your shopping an find the ones
that strike your fancy for looks, features and whatever else.  Then do a
google search for those particular cards.  There have been issues with
Dlink (to name one) where the manufacturer changed the chipset but not the
model designator rendering the card useless for linux compatibility.