[PLUG] Wireless pcmcia card & hub

Aaron Baer judah at opusnet.com
Sun Mar 9 11:39:02 UTC 2003

You really want to make sure that the card has Prism chipset in the
wireless card.

Check netgate for some really fantastic 200mW cards that will give you
the most range and sensitivity for the buck.
http://netgate.com/

The best linux support will be for the prism 2/2.5/3 chipsets and you
also have the ability to use them in AP mode to create a linux based AP.
Orinoco cards have great client support under Linux and are reliable
cards there is no AP mode support for these cards in Linux only AD-HOC
and Managed.

As far as off the shelf APs go the Linksys aren't that bad at all.

Watch out for the new DLink and Linksys client cards as many
manufacturers have moved to a chipset from Broadcom and those don't have
support under Linux.

Check here for another list of Prism based cards:
http://www.personaltelco.net/index.cgi/Prism2Card

The Netgate cards are great.

A-

--