[PLUG] Making installation floppies

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Mar 9 14:37:02 UTC 2003

  I've had the occasional floppy disk not want to work with linux, but today
has set a record. I need 7 floppies to boot my notebook so I can install
Slackware. Using "dd if=<filename> of=/dev/fd0", I successfully made 3 of
the 7 floppies. The last 9 attempts _looked_ like they were working, but I
cannot mount the floppy drive to look at the disks:

[rshepard at salmo /usr1/slackware-8.1]$ dd if=install.5 of=/dev/fd0
2880+0 records in
2880+0 records out
[rshepard at salmo /usr1/slackware-8.1]$ mount /mnt/floppy
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

  Has anyone else run into such a string of bad copies on Imation (nee 3M)
floppy disks? I need to go buy more in the hopes of getting this done today.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)