[PLUG] IMAP for home use?

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Mar 10 09:29:02 UTC 2003

At 11:20 PM 3/9/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>I guess you've had better luck with nfs than me.  My experience is that if
>a client disconnects ungracefully (dead laptop batt), the server becomes
>unresponsive.

I can't say that I've had that problem, and I'm serving nfs to 150 *nix
machines. However, I'm doing so via autofs, not static mounts. autofs
allows the system to mount the directory when needed, and then it
automatically unmounts if it's not used for a period of time.

There IS one problem with nfs in linux as opposed to other Unixes, that I'm
aware of. And it does involve ungraceful umounting. However, it's when the
server goes away while the client is connected. The client maintains the
mount information, and when the server comes back, it doesn't know about
it. The client will then report a "Stale mount", and the server ignores
requests for that export, from that client. I know Solaris handles this
gracefully, and will allow the client to reconnect. Forcing a umount on the
client of the affected mount will usually resolve this issue.

Russ Johnson
Dimension 7/Stargate Online
http://www.dimstar.net

Top post? http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html