[PLUG] natural join on text files

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Mar 10 10:43:01 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Colin" == Colin Kuskie <ckuskie at dalsemi.com> writes:

Russell> Another 12 hours or so, and I am going to have to conclude
Russell> that there _is_ no "easier" Perl solution. ;-)

Colin> This is my work email address, and I don't have easy access
Colin> [...]

The remark wasn't directed specifically at you.  Having disparaged
perl weenies favorite solution to everything, I was just a little
surprised that they hadn't jumped all over it already. ;-)

Colin> There may not be an easier Perl solution, I'm guessing that
[...]

Oh, I know there _is_ a perl solution, I used to write them.  The
technique I used to use was to read file1 into a hash table and then
loop through file2 comparing the appropriate fields in each line
against presence in the hash table.  This solution lacked
"onelinedness".  I presume there are other, perhaps better, perly
ways.  My question (challenge) was an invitation to hear about them.

--
Russell Senior         ``I've seen every kind of critter God ever made,
seniorr at aracnet.com      and I ain't never seen a meaner, lower, more