[PLUG] Slackware-8.1 install glitch

AthlonRob athlonrob at axpr.net
Mon Mar 10 11:41:02 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 10:25, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Well, I knew it was too easy. :-) The installation on my Toshiba was
> plodding along just fine until I got to the networking setup. When the
> system asked me if I wanted it to probe for the NIC, I put in the pcmcia NIC
> and responded, "yes". The result was a kernel panic and an inability to fix
> anything 'cause I don't yet have a root password and I selected reiserfs for
> the filesystems when I ran fdisk.

I think all the probing for hardware does is it attempts to load a
module, then if that fails it moves on to the next, and so on.  Toss
PCMCIA into that mix and many times you run in to problems like kernel
oop's.

I'd just load the proper module for your network card manually and go
that route...

Rob