[PLUG] OO.o: turning off automatic numbering

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Mar 11 10:24:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, Colin Kuskie wrote:

> Numbering is usually tied to the paragraph style.  Select the
> paragraphs that numbering automatically and then do:
> Format -> Paragraph
> Numbering Tab
> In the pulldown, select None.
> This will turn off numbering in existing paragraphs.

  Thanks, Colin. There are too many places in OO.o where I need to go for
almost every document to get it to work as I want. IMNSHO, _all_ options for
default configuration should be in one place. And, paragraps options should
apply globally (even when changed in a specific document) rather than
one-by-one.

  It's a differen (i.e,, Redmondesque) approach, but one I don't find
productive at all.

> Hmmm....wait a minute, you mean automatic numbering, where
> you're manually typing a list in and it decides to help
> by automatically detecting and formatting.  Try this instead:
>
> Tools -> AutoCorrect/AutoFormat
>
> Options Tab
>
> Deselect "Apply numbering - symbol: *"

  Been there; done that.

  The problem is also when one gets a winWord doc to use as a template/guide
and it has this stuff already in it.

> I think this is a per document selection.  Does anyone know how to make
> this Rich's (and my) default?~

  I've tried making all these choices in a blank doc then saving and making
it my default. Most of 'em aren't there the next time I open a new doc.
Sigh.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President