[PLUG] delayed delivery of emails

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Tue Mar 11 11:04:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Mar 2003, sag tom wrote:

> Thank you very much for your response. I ran that 'dig' command and
> it does show the results instantly as you mentioned.

OK, now we need to see if your Internet-facing IP address resolves
correctly:

Let's assume that eth0 is your external interface. To find your IP
address, run

host $(/sbin/ifconfig | \
  grep -A 4 eth0 | \
  awk '/inet/ {print $2}' | \
  sed -e s/addr://)

(Change eth0 to the actual interface you use to connect to the
Internet.)

You should see something like

  56.232.187.66.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer www.redhat.com.

Or, you may see something like

  Host 200.33.95.129.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

If you see the second form, that's bad. It means that some mail
servers won't like receiving mail from you.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>