[PLUG] Linux Video Project Idea...

Sean, Sharon and Kyle Harbour sharbours at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 11:59:02 UTC 2003

The Hauppauge WinTV GO model 190 works pretty well.
The Aver TV Stereo seems to have problems using the correct sound channel. On higher channels you get Spanish, etc. Plus, my unit picks up a lot of interference.
I bought the Hauppauge and haven't had any issues since.
Sean Harbour
 AthlonRob <athlonrob at axpr.net> wrote:On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 20:02, Dan Young wrote:

> mencoder can use the v4l driver to select a channel as an argument.

Ok... since I'm not going to be using a channel, but rather the direct
A/V in... is that going to cause problems? Nevermind. I'm sure it
won't...

> Here's the command I stole from freevo; salt to taste:
>
> /usr/bin/mencoder -tv \
> on:driver=v4l:input=0:norm=NTSC:channel=58:chanlist=us-cable:width=320:height=240:outfmt=yv12:adevice=/dev/audio:audiorate=32000:forceaudio:forcechan=1:buffersize=64
> -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=1200:keyint=30 -oac \
> mp3lame -lameopts br=128:cbr:mode=3 -ffourcc divx -o foo.avi

Woowee! That's a monster! A man page reading we shall go!

> I'm pretty new at this, but the one hour long show I recorded stayed
> synced thru the whole thing. That public broadcasting's Nova uses
> voiceovers heavily made it rather hard to check that. :-)

Well, I had one TV show that was a solid 30 seconds out of sync by the
end of the hour. You'd notice that, even with voiceovers... so I'm sure
it's playable.

> > I also use ALSA, do you use OSS?
>
> ALSA 0.9.0_rc6.

Sweet. If all goes according to plan, 0.9.0 (1.0.0?) is going to be
released tomorrow. At least, that's according to Jaroslav Kysela. I
think they've made some significant leaps and bounds in the last few
months. I'm pretty sure my CVS date is about halfway between rc4 and
rc6.

> >> vcr
> >> http://www.stack.nl/~brama/vcr/
> Haven't messed with this in a while. Once I got mencoder playing nice,
> I haven't look back. My avifile is much newer (0.7.32.20030219), but
> again, I haven't tried it for a few months.

So you're using mencoder all by itself, then? On their encoding page,
it mentions only encoding things, and also multiple passes... does the
command above mix all the passes in to one?

A man page reading we shall go! :-)

> > Now... I saw some darned cheap... like less than $50 cheap... TV
> > cards at Fry's the other day.. I suppose I can talk one of the Fry
> > Guys to open one up so I can see the chip it uses. :-)
>
> Anything w/ a Bt8*8 and you'll be fine. I got a WinTV-Go w/ the Bt848
> and it's, uh, Go'ing. Zero extra features, mono sound, but it was
> cheap. The external loopback cable for the sound is chintzy, but how
> much can you ask for in a $50 tuner card?

That sounds very much like the one at Fry's. It was right around $50, I
want to say about $45. It was mono and had zilch in the way of extra
features, but what do we really need, anyway?

> The Duron should be fine. My 800MHz Athlon uses 30-40% CPU time
> encoding using the above command.

Cool, thanks. It's hard to tell with these things any more. I'll bet
my Duron 650 is probably about on par with your 800MHz Athlon - a Slot
A, I bet? So we should have roughly comperable results!

Again, I really appreciate the feedback! A plan of attack is begining
to form!

Rob