[PLUG] Problems with proftp

Kirk Goins kgoins at aracnet.com
Tue Mar 11 19:47:01 UTC 2003

My son was... shall we say tinkering and now I can't FTP to my Mandrake 8.2 box.
I've un-installed proftp and re-installed but still can't access the system. I
can ping the port but as soon as I try to start a ftp session I get:
'Connection closed by remote host' if I do it from windows. If I try to ftp from
the system to its self on either the private IP (192.x.x.x) or Public
(216.x.x.x) I get: 421 Service not available.

Best I can get out of my son is #1 He tried to install "some" ftp server and #2
that he was messing with User IDs.

I've used the Software Manager and don't see any other ftp servers installed.

Anyone have a suggestion as to where to start to fix this thing?

Thanks