[PLUG] Problem in building RPM package

Paul Heinlein heinlein at attbi.com
Wed Mar 12 06:55:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Stephen Liu wrote:

> Hi all folks
>
> I encountered problem in building a RPM package.  Steps carried out as
> follows;
>
> as 'USER'
>
> $ rpmbuild -tb /home/user/AAA.tar
> error: File /home/user/AAA.tar: Permission denied
> sh: /home/user/AAA.tar: Permission denied
> error: Failed to rename /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/rpm-spec.iEoPOB to
> /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/rpm-spec.iEoPOB: No such file or directory: No
> such file or directory

1. USER will need write access to subdirectories in /usr/src/redhat.

2. Are you sure that AAA.tar has a .spec file inside it? Not all
   tarballs ship that way...

3. Assuming that 1. and 2. are true, and it still doesn't work, you'll
   need to do something like this to capture the error messages:

   rpm -tb -vv tarball.tar.gz | tee /tmp/rpm-errors.txt

   The resulting /tmp/rpm-errors.txt file will likely be very
   instructive.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein at attbi.com>