[PLUG] unwanted nohup behavior

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Wed Mar 12 10:16:13 UTC 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:53:27AM -0800, Mike De La Mater wrote:
> I'm running a program as part of a distributed project folding protiens.
> distributedfolding.org
>
> The thing is that I want to run the program, but I need to close the terminal. At
> the suggestion of some helpful individuals on the list, I'm using nohup.
>
> It works like a champ. Unfortunately the program generates a little graphic of the
> protien it's folding and nohup thinks of this as somethig tht needs to be logged to
> nohup.out. When nohup.out fills that partition, it causes me pain. Being a true pain
> avoider, I'm interested in a fix.
>
> Can I delete the nohup.out file in a cron job? A dialy rm should do it, but will I
> cause any problems with this approach?

How about running the client in quiet mode. Then you wouldn't have a file to get rid of.

  From the distributedfolding client readme

     To run the client in quiet mode (i.e. no output whatsoever to the terminal),
     simply edit the foldit script (foldit.bat on Windows) and add "-qt" (without
     the quotes) to the end of the line containing "foldtrajlite -f protein -n
     native".

Bill Barry